How to play guide for Hill Climb Racing 2
This page will serve as a basic how to play guide for Hill Climb Racing 2.
The primary gameplay of Hill Climb Racing is that of a 2D physics-based racing game, where you must drive to the end of a race (in time trials) or drive as far as you can (in adventure mode) on a 2D plane, while avoiding running out of fuel or hitting the driver's head.
The left pedal is the brake, which will slow the car or move it backward, and the right pedal is the accelerator, which will move the car forward.
These controls take on additional functionality when the car is airborne:
- Holding the accelerator (right pedal) while in the air will cause the nose of your car to lift and pivot on the central axis, potentially allowing you to backflip.
- Holding the brake (left pedal) while in the air will cause the rear of the car to rise and pivot on the central axis, potentially allowing you to frontflip.
Holding both pedal at the same time will stop the vehicle.
Additionally, some vehicles and tuning parts allow another level of functionality to be activated when both pedals are pressed at the same time. These are:
- Thrusters - Equipping this Tuning Part will allow you to fly on rocket thrusters, at the cost of high fuel consumption.
- Moonlander - This vehicle comes equipped with thrusters as standard and no extra tuning part is required to use them. It differs in that if you have both B.R.A.I.N and Thrusters features upgraded to the level 20 and activate the Thrusters while the Moonlander is stationary (only before starting a time trial), the main “pod” of the Moonlander will detach from the wheels and leave you with a flying vehicle. A disadvantage of this functionality is that you instantly die when the vehicle hits something (objects, obstacles, ground, roof).
- Jump Shocks - Equipping this Tuning Part will allow you to perform a small jump at any time. Note that holding down both pedals by other means will not trigger the jump; you have to press both pedals at the same time to activate the part! These can also allow you to drive further without fuel, particularly when used with Landing Boost.
- Sledge, Doughnut and Snowboard - These vehicles (only available in the Christmas Event) can activate a little jump boost. The jump boost is not upgradable. Like with Jump Shocks, holding down both pedals by other means will not trigger the little jump; you have to press both pedals at the same time to activate this functionality!
- Tractor - The tractor's scoop position can be adjusted in 3 ways: loose, forward, and overhead.
Another functionality that doesn't require tapping both pedals:
- Snowmobile - This vehicle can glide fast over a water surface by simply tapping the gas or both pedals. Using this method gives you the top speed of the Snowmobile. The Water Run Event is based on this feature.